Virtualization

Virtualization within the IT environment helps you make more efficient use of existing software and hardware resources. You can use popular virtualization software to create VMs (virtual machines) that share hardware resources while functioning as completely separate entities on a network.
There are several key benefits to using server consolidation and virtualization analysis solutions, including operational efficiency, better resource allocation, and enhanced security. You’ll learn more about these and other business advantages of virtualization throughout this guide.

A virtualized infrastructure can benefit companies and organizations of all sizes. Virtualization greatly simplifies a physical IT infrastructure to provide greater centralized management over your technology assets and better flexibility over the allocation of your computing resources. This enables your business to focus resources when and where they’re needed most, without the limitations imposed by the traditional “one computer per box” model.
What does it all mean? In the computing realm, the term virtualization refers to presenting a single physical resource as many individual logical resources (such as platform virtualization), as well as making many physical resources appear to function as a singular logical unit (such as resource virtualization). A virtualized environment may include servers and storage units, network connectivity and appliances, virtualization software, management software, and user applications.

The average server utilization in an enterprise environment ranges from 5 to 40 percent, leaving at least 60 percent of the available capacity unused. With Virtualization from Novell, you can consolidate workloads running on multiple physical servers onto a single physical server and harness unused computing power.With Virtualization from Novell, you can reduce your total number of servers by migrating multiple environments on different physical machines to individual virtual machines hosted on a single server. As a result, you can increase your CPU utilization and the efficiency of your server hardware.

What’s a virtualized server?

Basically, a virtual server, or VM, is an instance of some operating system platform running on any given configuration of server hardware, centrally managed by a virtual machine manager, or hypervisor, and consolidated management tools.
Note: The Novell software providing the virtualization is called hypervisor. A hypervisor can run on bare hardware (native VM) or on top of an operating system (hosted VM).
A single instance may operate in isolation or share resources with several other instances of the same (or separate) server platforms.

Virtualization from Novell gives you many benefits, including:

  • Increased server utilization
  • Reduced server provisioning time (up to 90 percent)
  • High availability to keep your business running during outages
  • Easy management of mixed environments
  • Reduced power, cooling, and real estate costs in a green data center